couch

couch

Sunday 7 June 2015

my Summer reads!

When we go on holidays, we bring an eight man tent. And air mattresses and sleeping bags and beach towels and clothes and swimming togs and a barbecue and a gas stove. Because we need to fit all this in our car, space is pretty tight. Therefore every book packed has to pay its fare by being really, really good.

 So, for the past few weeks I've been doing my research and searching for the perfect holiday reads. There they are above.

The one I'm looking forward to most is In Tearing Haste - letters between Deborah Devonshire (nee Mitford) and Patrick Leigh Fermor. I'll probably follow that with Homicide, because I loved The Wire. Then it'll be time for Euphoria, which is supposed to be quite like and as good as, States of Wonder by Ann Patchett. I think I'm going to have to read Lucky Jim before I leave because sadly, the print in this edition is so tiny, it gives me a headache. If you're getting it, get the one with the David Lodge introduction.

The good news is that this means I need to keep searching - I think four books will be just about right. Anyone got any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment