couch

couch

Monday 14 September 2015

My Place by Nadia Wheatley and Donna Rawlins and Middlemarch by George Eliot

This is brilliant. Its a picture book, but not your usual kind. It takes a house in a town in Australia, and traces its history. Every decade, for one hundred years, a child living there describes their daily life. Its a great idea and really well done.
1988

 1968

 1948

 1918

1908

 1898

 1828

1788 

I haven't included every year here, but as you can see, there's a LOT of detail. Each child (some related to the previous occupant, some not) describes their surroundings, current affairs, their neighbours (the Mullers change their name to Miller between 1098 and 1918). There is so much information. Its fascinating. Definitely not just for those interested in the history of Australia, but anyone who wants their kids to look around and think, "What was here before me, and before that?" for age six or seven to adult.

(I'm not really doing this book justice in this review but I'm also "supervising" my three younger boys' homework (probably not doing that justice either!) so am a bit distracted.) Anyway its a wonderful book. 

I mentioned a while ago that my copy of Middlemarch was used a doorstop when I was in College. I met my roommate recently and she was telling me how much she had loved the book. What? I thought. You read it? I thought everyone just skimmed and read the notes. So I decided to give it another try. Of course, it's great. What can I say, I was an eejit.
Once the homework is finished I'm going to put the kettle on and settle down with it. I can't wait.





No comments:

Post a Comment