couch

couch

Thursday 17 March 2016

The Duchess Bakes a Cake by Virginia Kahl

I've been starting to think that my kids are coming close to the end of their picture book era. Or my youngest at least. The others listen in at bedtime, but with their own books on their knees too. He's only five so we have at the very least a year to go, two if I try to delay his independent reading..just kidding, I love picture books but I'm not that bad. Anyways, that was my excuse for ordering this:
The Duchess Bakes a Cake

(That lipstick is Fire and Ice by Revlon, its on sale since 1953, and the book was published in 1955. Maybe some mother would have read this book aloud whilst wearing it. And hopefully her kids didn't say "that doesn't fit your face" like mine did. Oh dear. Its a fab colour though.)

Its a slightly smaller than normal hardback and if you are into your colours and covers and design, its wonderful. Also, its a really, really great rhyming story. I say really, really great because there are lots of rhyming stories out there and a lot are ok but this one is up there with Seven Silly Eaters. Although I should say that one is up with The Duchess Bakes a Cake, seeing that it came first. It was over fourteen Euros, so more than I usually spend but definitely worth it.

(sorry, the lipstick is there again.)


For boys and girls two to six or seven.



No comments:

Post a Comment