couch

couch

Thursday 20 November 2014

Books for kids of ten and up who don't really want books for Christmas

I  haven't read any of these but they will be on my eldest sons bedside table after Christmas. He is thirteen so I am loath to say they are his reading level - listen, he can read harder stuff but unless his teacher tells him to, he will  not. Given the choice of something worthy that might take a bit of effort and his beloved computer, I know what he'll choose.
So these are, I think, easy and funny and enjoyable to read. Which in fairness, is what reading should be.

On the left is The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. I've read the first few pages and its great. I know he'll read it. Then up on top is The Twenty One Balloons about which I will probably have to say, give it two chapters and then decide. But its short - and I'm pretty sure he'll like it. And then on the right is The True Meaning of Smekday which is going to soon be a movie - by Dreamworks, I think. Its written in the form of an essay by an American schoolgirl about a time when aliens came down to earth and took over. She makes friends with one called J-Lo. Again I haven't read this - all I know is from reviews, but it seems well written, daft and very funny. 

They all have some illustrations - making the whole experience a little bit more Wimpy Kidish for any reluctant readers.

Here's The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian,

And The Twenty One Balloons,

And The True Meaning of Smekday.


1 comment:

  1. Great blog. All posts have something to learn. Your work is very good and I appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts. Personalize Kids Books

    ReplyDelete