couch

couch

Saturday 22 February 2014

Children's book illustrations as art

Every now and again we get a kids book and it is too lovely to close. Along A Long Road was one of them. It came with a dust jacket(I'm not a huge fan of these, they get in the way a bit) and it gave me an idea.

As well as an addictive book for toddlers, Along A Long Road is art. It cost me €40 euros to get this cover professionally framed, and was well worth it. Underneath it is what is left of our first copy of Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever. It disintegrated eventually after about ten years of being read, but I couldn't bin any of it. The pages are tucked into a shelf somewhere along with the back cover, and the front one happily fitted into an appropriately golden frame I found in a charity shop. On the other wall is our mounted Paul Thurlby's Alphabet which I mentioned in this post. I know the room is a state, and sorry about that, I'd have loved to have styled it all prettily but my kids were on the way up the stairs and the sun came out so I just took the picture. Its lovely in a messy way don't you think? In a very messy way.

P.s. Full review of Along A Long Road on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment